Established as an Association for Asian Studies (AAS) conference program in 2011, AAS Film Expo is curated and organized by the Asian Educational Media Service (AEMS), a program of the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The AAS 2023 Annual Conference is scheduled March 16-19, 2023 at Sheraton Boston Hotel & Hynes Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.
Documentary and independent films on issues reflecting contemporary life in Asia will be programmed and projected in a dedicated screening room Thursday through Saturday on conference dates. The film expo also provides an in-person, on-demand screening area to allow additional viewing opportunities for attendees unavailable for scheduled screening times.
Selected films may include short, post-screening Q&A sessions with filmmakers and film representatives attending the conference or via online video conferencing.
All selected films are promoted in a special AAS Film Expo booklet distributed to conference attendees, listed in the print and digital AAS Annual Conference Program, the Conference Mobile App, as well as on the AAS and CEAPS websites.
We welcome the submission of films related to Asia produced by scholars and independent filmmakers. Criteria utilized in the selection process include timeliness, broad appeal to the scholarly community, and examples of new field work. In considering your submission, please note that attendees viewing films may be seeking titles for classroom use or for their institutional libraries.
Approximately twenty to twenty-five films will be selected for screenings.
We look forward to receiving online submissions to present and promote films at the premier annual conference of Asia scholars in North America which offer impactful programming and networking opportunities for emerging research in diverse disciplines contributing to Asian Studies.
For programming consideration in AAS 2023 Film Expo, please complete an ONLINE FILM SUBMISSION FORM. Our selection committee reviews films through secure Vimeo or YouTube links.
Our film submission deadline: Friday, December 16, 2022.
- AAS Film Expo requires films to be subtitled in English.
- We do not accept any films that have had scheduled screenings at past meetings.
- AAS does not pay rental or royalty fees, nor does it charge you for publicity and exposure. AAS considers this program of mutual benefit to both you and our members.
- AAS does not offer financial support for filmmakers to attend the conference screenings.
- Selected films will be required to submit 2-3 promotional images at 300dpi-600dpi, which may be included at time of submission via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Finkelman | email@example.com | 217-265-0640